Rosa Rubicondior
The Skeptical Zone
Watching the Deniers
Others
Christianity Disproved
Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Politics & World Events

Notices

Old 04 Mar 2012, 09:36 AM   #338182 / #1
DMB
Old git
Beloved deceased

Default Costa Concordia inquiry

No doubt there'll be plenty of revelations.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...in-coastguards

Quote:
Francesco Schettino, who is under house arrest after steering the ship on to rocks on the island of Giglio on 13 January, was not wearing his glasses that night, the ship's first officer has told investigators. "He had forgotten them," said Ciro Ambrosio. "He asked me a number of times to adjust the scale of the radar because he couldn't see it well."

As Schettino grounded the listing ship in shallow water and it took on water, he told officers to lie to coastguards. "He ordered us to say everything was under control," said Ambrosio.

Investigators have also learned that Mario Palombo, a former officer at cruise ship operator Costa Cruises, who mentored Schettino, warned in 2003 that Schettino's pride drove him to lie. "In many cases, he preferred to lie to me rather than admit mistakes," Palombo wrote at the time...

...The hearing was procedural, covering the appointment of experts to analyse the ship's black box. "I have dealt with cases involving more deaths, but what happened here defies belief," said one British lawyer there, Clive Garner.

Italian lawyer Pietro Ilardi said that Irina Navarova, a 25-year-old Russian ship's entertainer, sustained serious facial injuries when she fell from a deck, tumbled down the tilted ship's hull and swam to shore. "She is scarred for life and the firm offered her just €3,000 [£2,500] in compensation because she was not in the union," said Ilardi.

"Schettino was an imbecile, a criminal," said Francesca Scarramuzzi, 65, a retired teacher who was on board. "But I'd like to know if the company delayed abandoning ship in order to try to make it into port to avoid the compensation triggered by using lifeboats."
(my bold).

I'm not allowed to drive a car without wearing my glasses. How did he think he could drive a ship carrying 4000 people without his glasses?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Politics & World Events