Rosa Rubicondior
The Skeptical Zone
Watching the Deniers
Others
Christianity Disproved
Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Philosophy & Morality

Notices

Old 25 Apr 2012, 02:30 AM   #358582 / #1
Thethinker
Master Brainier

Default Memory Deletion: Should it be legal?

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/0...tingpill/all/1

Another interesting article from Wired. Makes me wonder where humanity will be in the next 20 years. Will we be mindless apes, or a genetically altered super race?
Old 25 Apr 2012, 02:53 AM   #358588 / #2
Kali

lol, as if painful memories don't have a purpose
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 25 Apr 2012, 02:57 AM   #358589 / #3
Thethinker
Master Brainier

@Kali That nail was just hit on the head.. must have hurt.
Thethinker is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 25 Apr 2012, 02:58 AM   #358590 / #4
Kali

i have no idea what you're talking about
Old 25 Apr 2012, 03:00 AM   #358591 / #5
Thethinker
Master Brainier

You hit the nail on the head. lol
Old 25 Apr 2012, 03:10 AM   #358594 / #6
Kali

we have been dealing with traumatic experiences ever since humans existed and all of a sudden some disconnected idiot thought up an idea of a pharmaceutical that takes away one thing that is at the very heart of our being
Old 25 Apr 2012, 03:13 AM   #358595 / #7
Kali

also i heard pot helps with PTSD. let's try that first!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 03:14 AM   #358596 / #8
Thethinker
Master Brainier

I have no doubt it will replace and be just as common as the anti-depression pills.

I can see it now:

"Stop taking all of those anti-depression pills. Just take this one pill now and you can forget you ever were depressed!"
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:56 PM   #358889 / #9
Rie

^^ I today of all days wish that there were such a pill. It is however true that memory of past mistakes puts you ahead in the human race... as in maybe Alzheimers? I've often wondered if Alzheimers weren't a kind of escape from present pain.
A lovely woman who was my daughter's neighbour suddenly left us and took refuge in remembering only the one man she loved. She discarded all other memories.
So now she's in an old person's home and, having seen it i can only grieve for her. It's grotesque to see old people living a bizarre kind of half-life.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 03:37 AM   #359204 / #10
Thethinker
Master Brainier

I think the article makes a good point about the affects of PTSD and other such memory pains, but that's kind of how we are as humans. Without pain we have very little to bond to each other with. Perhaps it could be used on those with serious mental issues but we all know, once it's available, it's going to be abused by someone.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 09:11 AM   #359248 / #11
Ozymandias

Why would you have an issue with it? They are not your memories they are deleting, so it doesn't concern you. We have no laws that stop you deleting information stored on your computer - why would we have laws preventing you from deleting information stored elsewhere?

I suppose if you were a witness to a crime, it should be illegal to delete the memory before the court case, but that is already covered in laws against tampering with evidence.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 27 Apr 2012, 05:37 PM   #359355 / #12
Politesse
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I suppose if you were a witness to a crime, it should be illegal to delete the memory before the court case, but that is already covered in laws against tampering with evidence.
That was my first thought. It would be hard to enforce this, as there would realistically be a lot of grey areas. I'd be more worried about this than someone deleting memories of their dearly departed.
Old 04 May 2012, 03:27 AM   #361662 / #13
dancer_rnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
^^ I today of all days wish that there were such a pill. It is however true that memory of past mistakes puts you ahead in the human race... as in maybe Alzheimers? I've often wondered if Alzheimers weren't a kind of escape from present pain.
A lovely woman who was my daughter's neighbour suddenly left us and took refuge in remembering only the one man she loved. She discarded all other memories.
So now she's in an old person's home and, having seen it i can only grieve for her. It's grotesque to see old people living a bizarre kind of half-life.
If you are going in and out of dementia, and are aware of what is happening, there is no escape except death.......I see no reason to keep this memory.
There is no such thing as "politically correct." It's code for liberalism. The whole idea of "political correctness" was a brief academic flash-in-the-pan in the early 1990's, but has been a good conservative bugaboo ever since.
dancer_rnb is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 04 May 2012, 03:52 AM   #361666 / #14
Copernicus
Industrial Linguist
Admin; Mod: Miscellaneous Discussions, Philosophy & Morality, Politics & World Events

This is a timely topic for me. I just finished reading a novel by Charles Stross called Glasshouse. The theme of this novel is the use of memory deletion for the purpose of eliminating painful memories among other things. Well, Stross novels are always about more than one thing, but it was an interesting thought experiment on how the technology for memory manipulation might play out in a future society.
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 04 May 2012, 11:04 AM   #361729 / #15
phands
Long term atheist

Charlie Stross is one of the best authors in the world right now. I have all his stuff - must have read Accelerando over 10 times by now.
Old 04 May 2012, 07:52 PM   #361897 / #16
sohy

My father is 86 years old and among other things, suffers from severe PTSD. He claims that every single day he awakens from nightmares about his war experience. If there was a way to delete those memories, it would be wonderful. His life might have been much better and my sisters and I might have had a childhood that wasn't scarred by a man that had a lot of anger and rage. So, I don't see a thing wrong with a therapy that would be able to erase certain kinds of memories.
sohy is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 08 May 2012, 02:24 AM   #362896 / #17
Thethinker
Master Brainier

There are horrible things that this pill could help but just imagine the ramifications of an over-the-counter memory deletion pill. The effects on society could be catastrophic. Suppose someone put the pills in our water, could you imagine how that would completely destroy our society? And even if they couldn't put it in a 1st world country's water. What about a 3rd world country? No regulations there. Any drug that could be put in the water (except lethal) are generally temporary as the effects go away after a short period of time. But this pill causes permanent damage. I wish there was a way to eliminate PTSD and all sorts of other psychological issues but, fact is, that's impossible. Were prone to imperfection, there's no way around that. There's horrors that go on around the world all the time, yet the world still goes round.
Old 09 May 2012, 04:43 PM   #363376 / #18
TheaterofHope
Literally a "junior" Mem.
Helicopter Champion, Simon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thethinker View Post
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/0...tingpill/all/1

Another interesting article from Wired. Makes me wonder where humanity will be in the next 20 years. Will we be mindless apes, or a genetically altered super race?
Ideally it wont be deleted. Because if you think about it logically your mind is the scene of the crime. If we can remove certain synapses than we can clearly veiw them in some biochemical way. Like patterning the neurons and forming an image via a algorithmical machine. Im just elaborating the possibility.

Plus if thats not the case it will be legal. The goverment will legalize ANYTHING that a- makes money and b-doesnt hurt the majority.
Old 09 May 2012, 04:44 PM   #363378 / #19
Ozymandias

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterofHope View Post
The goverment will legalize ANYTHING that a- makes money and b-doesnt hurt the majority.
Except recreational drugs.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 May 2012, 02:52 AM   #364260 / #20
Rie

There are too many avenues for exploitation in having a memory deletion pill or suchlike... but man, do I wish that the memory of some of my more spectacular mistakes could be deleted. it's tempting, it's tempting.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Philosophy & Morality