Rosa Rubicondior
The Skeptical Zone
Watching the Deniers
Others
Christianity Disproved
Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Human Rights

Notices

Old 26 Apr 2012, 03:54 PM   #359051 / #1
phands
Long term atheist

Default No Kids Under 18 Allowed Outside Without Adult Supervision

http://www.care2.com/causes/no-kids-...pervision.html

Florida is a fucked-up state, but this community is off the scale...

Quote:
A community in Florida is prohibiting anyone under age 18 from going outside unsupervised by an adult.

That’s right: if you’re a kid at Ole Village in Lely Resort, Collier County, Florida, that means no bike riding, no walking to the bus stop, no being outside at all, without an adult. Some parents say their kids are under house arrest.

Actually this isn’t like house arrest. This is house arrest. And since I spend much of my time encouraging kids and their parents to Get Out and enjoy the many benefits of the outdoors, this rule seems sacrilegious to me.

Ten-year-old Yousif Mehyer and his friends have been skateboarding and biking around their neighborhood for years. But for the past few weeks the kids have been stuck indoors.

From NBC-2.com:

“They’ve been harassing our kids quite a bit coming up to them telling them they can’t be outside,” said Tony Stein, Ole resident.

According to the housing association rules, all minors under the age of 18 need to be supervised by an adult at all times.

“This is some kind of mistake,” said Stein.

The rule isn’t new, it has been around since the neighborhood was built, but security is just now starting to enforce it.

“Can’t walk to the store, can’t walk to their neighbor’s house, their friends,” said Mihyar.

Why is this going on now? The managing company says they’ve received complaints about noisy kids in the neighborhood who have become a source of annoyance for other residents. They released this statement: “Community associations must impartially enforce the rules found in the governing documents. We hope to have the situation resolved soon to everyone’s satisfaction and to ensure the comfort and safety of all residents.”

Many of the parents say this rule is making their lives far from comfortable and they won’t be around much longer unless their kids can enjoy their own homes.

Well, no, but it’s sad and enfuriating that kids can’t just be kids. Children need to play outside to be healthy, and they need to play unsupervised sometimes to develop their own sense of responsibility.

Let’s hope some compromise can be reached here. Cooping children up inside is bad for their physical, mental, and social health. And ultimately, it’s just really sad for these youngsters.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 04:03 PM   #359055 / #2
Cath B
Super Gardener
Crazy Closet Champion, Candy Tetris Champion

^ ^ ^

This is crazy beyond.
Cath B is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 26 Apr 2012, 04:25 PM   #359061 / #3
Worldtraveller
Will work for fun.

This is what happens when you move into a 'retirement community'. Many of these places (there are a lot in Az too) don't even allow children under 18 to live there. There was a big row in one of the Green Valley (Az) communities when some kids moved there to live with their grandparents, because they kids' parents had been killed in a car crash...and the other old folks didn't want them kids on their lawn.

Yeah, it's that bad.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 26 Apr 2012, 04:58 PM   #359069 / #4
MattShizzle
Zombie for Satan

Crazy. In the comments someone pointed out what's going to happen when these families decide it's too ridiculous and move somewhere else en mass.
MattShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 27 Apr 2012, 03:42 AM   #359206 / #5
Thethinker
Master Brainier

This makes me sick to the stomach.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 04:01 AM   #359208 / #6
DMB
Old git
Beloved deceased

It's not significantly different from the position of adult women in Saudi Arabia.

Of course it's nuts.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 27 Apr 2012, 04:12 AM   #359209 / #7
Thethinker
Master Brainier

Yeah, true, but that's because they are regressing, were supposed to be progressing!
Thethinker is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 27 Apr 2012, 07:05 AM   #359227 / #8
Cath B
Super Gardener

What would happen if a parent was ill or had a leg injury?

Would under-eighteens be unable to leave the house to go to school?
Old 27 Apr 2012, 07:15 AM   #359228 / #9
Cath B
Super Gardener

Sometimes I reflect on how lucky I am to live in a small community where folk feel comfortable about pre-teens going out and about on their own and with shop and primary school within walking distance. And there has been a lot of encouragement lately for youngsters to walk or cycle to school rather than be driven.

It's far from perfect - cars can drive too fast for the cyclists to be as safe as one would wish so a lot of youngsters cycle on the narrow pavements. And, of course, the behaviour of some youngsters is sometimes less than ideal.

But the youngsters are able to let off steam in fresh air, and to pick up a sense of being members of a wider community than that of their own family.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 08:28 AM   #359239 / #10
Monad
PhH

How come they can do this? Doesn't it break some fundamental human rights such as the right to play etc?
Monad is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 28 Apr 2012, 12:12 AM   #359474 / #11
DMB
Old git
Beloved deceased

See Convention on the Rights of the Child.

I suppose one could argue that it breaches Article 15 and Article 31

Quote:
Article 15

1. States Parties recognize the rights of the child to freedom of association and to freedom of peaceful assembly.

2. No restrictions may be placed on the exercise of these rights other than those imposed in conformity with the law and which are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security or public safety, public order (ordre public), the protection of public health or morals or the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
Quote:
Article 31

1. States Parties recognize the right of the child to rest and leisure, to engage in play and recreational activities appropriate to the age of the child and to participate freely in cultural life and the arts.

2. States Parties shall respect and promote the right of the child to participate fully in cultural and artistic life and shall encourage the provision of appropriate and equal opportunities for cultural, artistic, recreational and leisure activity.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 30 Apr 2012, 03:28 PM   #360100 / #12
Worldtraveller
Will work for fun.

Hah, that's the UN. We here in murrika don't take no orders from some furriners.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 04:41 PM   #360120 / #13
Ozymandias

Seems like a good idea to me. Keep the kids off the street so that can't bother the rest of us.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:24 PM   #360186 / #14
BWE
twisting truth since 1957

Quote:
Welcome, BWE.
666 Unread Posts since your last visit.
hmm
BWE is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 01 May 2012, 12:43 AM   #360286 / #15
Mediancat
Moby Dick
Mod: Politics & World Events, SL&I
Railway Line Champion

Okay, folks. Dogpiling and attacking someone for something unrelated to the thread topic doesn't rank as an intellectual discussion. The relevant posts have been trashed.

Rob aka Mediancat
HR mod
Old 01 May 2012, 02:15 PM   #360424 / #16
Worldtraveller
Will work for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Seems like a good idea to me. Keep the kids off the street so that can't bother the rest of us.
'Off the street'? You mean, like playing in their yards? I guess that would be tragic, wouldn't it? I'd hate for you to be subject to *gasp* children playing in their yards. I imagine the trauma for you would take years of therapy.
Old 01 May 2012, 02:38 PM   #360433 / #17
Ozymandias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
Quote:
'Off the street'? You mean, like playing in their yards? I guess that would be tragic, wouldn't it? I'd hate for you to be subject to *gasp* children playing in their yards. I imagine the trauma for you would take years of therapy.
I don't think you should leave kids alone in the house. Isn't leaving your kids unsupervised illegal in most countries? There is nothing wrong with supervised play though.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 01 May 2012, 04:44 PM   #360475 / #18
neilstone40
Heretic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Isn't leaving your kids unsupervised illegal in most countries?
Leaving your children unsupervised isn't actually illegal (at least in the UK) unless it can be proven by merit of their age, the duration and/or circumstances that they were placed at risk or neglect.

If children are constantly closely supervised, it inhibits their personal/social development and sense of independence leaving them woefully unprepared when they have to deal with the big bad world by themselves.
Old 01 May 2012, 06:31 PM   #360518 / #19
Worldtraveller
Will work for fun.

Not sure about other states, but a child only had to be 10 years old to be legally able to stay home without at least one person over the age of 18 present. My brother and I were pretty much in that boat for a number of years (he's 2 years older than me), when my dad (single) worked swing shifts in the Air Farce. I was pretty much unsupervised for the better part of 3 years, except on weekends.

I was a feral child.... (explains a lot, huh?)
Old 01 May 2012, 06:53 PM   #360524 / #20
dancer_rnb

Quote:
Quote:
Working night shift in a hospital taking care of sick people and screaming kids during the day don't go together too well........
There is no such thing as "politically correct." It's code for liberalism. The whole idea of "political correctness" was a brief academic flash-in-the-pan in the early 1990's, but has been a good conservative bugaboo ever since.
dancer_rnb is online now   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 01 May 2012, 06:53 PM   #360525 / #21
neilstone40
Heretic

Similar story here...my parents didn't realise that there was no minimum age for children to be left at home alone.

They didn't however have any concerns about casting me out into the wilds from dawn to dusk pretty much every day.

If I didn't arrive home for lunch or dinner, they'd just assume some random parent/passer by/scary stranger had given me some food (or that I just wasn't hungry enough to venture home).

How times have changed...
neilstone40 is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 02 May 2012, 09:12 PM   #360934 / #22
Worldtraveller
Will work for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer_rnb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Working night shift in a hospital taking care of sick people and screaming kids during the day don't go together too well........
Apparently, you should have moved to the neighborhood in the OP. Simple, no?
Old 03 May 2012, 04:01 AM   #361119 / #23
dancer_rnb

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, not simple. Then you get idiots with loud lawnmowers.......
dancer_rnb is online now   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 04 May 2012, 09:03 PM   #361916 / #24
Worldtraveller
Will work for fun.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, not simple. Then you get idiots with loud lawnmowers.......
Hear that sound?

That was the joke flying over your head.
Old 05 May 2012, 11:25 AM   #362078 / #25
Dinah-Moe Humm
Banned

They agreed to the terms of the association when they moved in, so I say tough luck. Yea it's fucked up, but they have only themselves to blame. Nobody is stopping them from moving out.
Dinah-Moe Humm is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Human Rights