Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Community Forums > Arts, Media & Literature

Notices

Old 01 May 2012, 12:08 PM   #360392 / #101
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, the "how did you find our forum" thread

the goblin remembers it even now, that fateful internet search then, and how in the late evening everything had just ushered him to his desk once more where, armed only with the strongest of coffees and an aspiring intellect, the goblin clearly understood upon linking up his computer, that what he actually encountered here was some vast void of the internet entered through the tiniest of portals, that is, he was just another IP address on a server somewhere, so he voiced slowly "...funny how the insignificance of the individual is so obvious here, ah but you, o great Internet, do not exist without me, or at least without someone to observe you still, simply your realm collapses without these millions of us insignificant selves here...", Harry Lime's words perhaps, but nothing was ever new then, as the goblin then typed into the google search bar "just anywhere I suppose" and then entered it with a touch of his index finger on the "return" button, the rest was just fate, who knows perhaps it had been fate all along

58 100 910
fleamailman is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 01 May 2012, 05:11 PM   #360484 / #102
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

"...the average american, perhaps like most people on this earth for that matter, prefers to follow the symbolism rather than the actual substance of politics, that is, real everyday politics unfolds too slowly, and without enough fanfare, for them to take note, let alone contemplate here..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...for example, does ourdearmedia mention that one in ten in the US is on food stamps now, or tells you that more americans go to prison than university today, or of the failing to meet the budget, or that the recession isn't over by a long chalk, etc., no it doesn't tell you, yet it's not the media's fault, it's just that everyday politics is either far too boring, or too constant, to be enticing media news, so no, what we get in it's place is fanfare politics, an exotic war on terrorism, state visits, foreign affairs, sports and the like, in short, we get those very distractions that we ourselves want to make "politics" all the more palatable to our own tastes, while that which is crucially important in this political/economic situation passes beneath it, too slowly to register on the radar here but happening anyway..."

60 101 928
Old 02 May 2012, 08:26 AM   #360699 / #103
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, the "what are you doing" thread

the goblin had been talking to santa, saying "...look, to be honest with you, I think I am a little bit too old for those electric train sets and meccano building kits at my advanced age, but, since we both know that I have been a very good goblin for many years now, what I would really like for christmas this year is a LHC, a large hadron collider that is, one like they have at CERN here, if only because it's a rather good mixture of both those toys don't you think, only bigger, ah but failing that, could you just make sure that we still have a christmas when CERN goes fully functional in november then...", "...ho ho ho, anything to please my goblin friend then, actually we can't afford a real LHC, what with this global recession right now, but I'll tell you what then, here's a model replica by lego instead..."

61 102 946
Old 02 May 2012, 12:24 PM   #360744 / #104
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

"...well, to claim some belief to be the truth is folly mortals..." repeated the goblin, continuing "...it's as if one is just trying to convince oneself of something one doesn't really know then, and that somehow to believe in it will curry favor with some divinity to which that belief belongs to, will it, prove it, one can't, why, because at the end of the day, whatever one says to oneself, one still doesn't know for sure, one only believes it...", and with that the goblin couldn't remember how many times he had faced this point in his understanding then, it was as if all he could actually go on was "what he knew" and "what he could know", so knowing had to come from here then, facing one's beliefs through doubt, "...look, to know oneself on the outside, one simply has to reflect upon one's actions, but how does one get to know oneself on the inside I wonder, well isn't that where one's posting comes into focus and what those posts reflect of one here...", which was the point where the voice inside him seemed to go "...so, what do your posts tell you about yourself then goblin...", to which the goblin waved his hand in a casual whatever manner and then replied "...well, just that it's ever this journey to self while there's still time isn't it, and that that never seems to change..."

61 103 961

Last edited by fleamailman; 02 May 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02 May 2012, 06:44 PM   #360869 / #105
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

looking back, the goblin wondered if it actually mattered all these years later, where those politicians had settled out of court in some country far across the water from here, and yet that water under the bridge seemed ever murky still, as if those great moments of Nixon's downfall and of Clinton's impeachment seemed somehow betrayed by this "Gore/Bush election result" and by the political horse trading that followed in its wake, so the goblin simply asked "...well then, was it or wasn't it rigged, and will the voters ever get to learn the truth of it, for whose democracy is it if not voter's then..."

61 104 967
Old 03 May 2012, 12:11 AM   #361027 / #106
Politesse
Sapere aude

Whoever can take and keep it, apparently.
Old 03 May 2012, 05:09 AM   #361130 / #107
fleamailman

("...yes, I'm afraid that american politics moves ever further away from the concept of free and fair elections each time the show hits the road..." replied the goblin well aware that no one wanted to vote for those who were on offer, instead they would vote if at all to stop those they disliked even more, saying "...a choice between snow white obama and sever republican dwarfs then, yet either way one votes it's all disneyland by it...")

repost from elsewhere

the goblin had lost the plot for the sub plot again, saying "...cunning little critters these sub plots are too, you think you know what it's all about, the answer to it all, etc., and then suddenly something happens and those sums don't add up anymore, as one just realises one has been had by ones own complacency towards the real plot again, and how the sub plot mocks one here...", while outside the bistro, a cool post rain morning on the goblin's day off just casually echoed this sentiment to him once more, "just another day like any other in rat race city" then, with yet more "start line births" for some people, and "finish line deaths" for others, where for the rest of us there was ever this ongoing track between those two lines then, with umpteen hurdles of sub plots to meet on the way, where somewhere in all this was the real plot then something that was ever elusive as if laughing at one here, perhaps hidden in full view even

61 106 985

Last edited by fleamailman; 03 May 2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03 May 2012, 09:29 AM   #361187 / #108
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

the goblin just said "...my dailylife and one's journey to self are two different things for me, the former one can accept as something with a cut off point, as in "letting go", "a season for all things then", whereas the other is much more like a its namesake, simply a journey that doesn't end till one does...", the goblin could never really stop his journey to self here now, if only because the thoughts came to him much like a musician hears music in the back of his mind ingrained after a jamming session, he continued "...actually, none of this has any meaning in the context of the dailylife then, I mean, I am anonymous where there's no reward, the forums just come and go, their members too, moreover, these random threads are about the most impermanent thing that I know of, so to me it's all just a masked ball played out on this vast sea of forumland, a game then, yes but once one finally comprehends the truth of it, it futility even, then what one actually does from that moment onwards, shows you to yourself doesn't it, which is reason enough to journey on then I guess..."

62 107 1001

Last edited by fleamailman; 03 May 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04 May 2012, 06:20 AM   #361682 / #109
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, just sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxx
So... d'ya make the same post on each forum or do you tailor according to others' responses?The world needs to know this stuff.
"...a bit of both xxxxx, yet it is a heavy workload though..." replied the goblin, continuing "...for example, if one knows that is dealing with posters from the other side of the pond, one needs to carefully convert everything into their "food stamps" to be understood there, whereas, if it's posters from the other side of the channel, that's a different matter, as in that case one needs to convert everything into "flint arrowheads", if only because neither type of poster is really used to dealing in a proper currency like our Swiss franc..."

Old 04 May 2012, 06:32 AM   #361685 / #110
fleamailman

Quote:
This is me, introducing myself to this board. Hello.
"...ah yes you are not normal I take it, and as such you're most welcome here..." went the goblin liking that post and the posting style, adding "...so did admin mention the bit about normal posters being shoot on sight now, he did I see, but the truth is that we encourage you to write as you like and not as you should, that difference is what makes you different...", at which point the occasion called for a red carpet with the goblin going "...nah, green carpet much better, with coffee machine and cookies, you humans have no personal touch to speak of, where us goblins for all our faults know a thing or two about welcomes..."

Old 04 May 2012, 10:54 AM   #361728 / #111
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, a dating site's "last post" thread

Quote:
Goblin, can I ask a direct question? although any answer you wish in return. Rumour has it you only post in your own thread here?
the goblin had ventured elsewhere many times with differing results, saying "...ah, but I am not normal now and, whereas my abnormality might be accepted on these edit threads, I doubt that some of those more serious threads would appreciate periodic visits by a goblin writing in third person...", simply the goals, between the goblin himself and the humans around him, were different it seemed, for the goblin guessed that they all wished to meet the others around them exactly as who they were in dailylife, ah but such dullness was for not the goblin now, ah no, he wanted to enact his ultra ego free of dailylife fetters, so an anonymous writing style with no photo nor age nor personal details was him here, for he was in effect a ghost-writer, and yet from the goblin's own experience, the persona of an anonymous ghost-writer was even harder for humans to accept than if the goblin just resorted to an acceptable fictional character like he was even if it was exactly the same then, and with that the goblin's mind sunk back into its madness of creating posts on this thread once more, saying "...but enough of me now, for I must turn my thoughts into posts before my journey's ends, where where or what is not nearly as important as repetition of the practice is..."

62 109 1050
Old 04 May 2012, 05:36 PM   #361808 / #112
fleamailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinah-Moe Humm View Post
Can I have a poem too?
Oh wait, I already do. Frank Zappa wrote it.
("...well anything to please, but you'll give me a post on my thread in return then, won't you..." proposed the goblin with a smile, adding "...beware now, goblins are not to be trusted, though I thought everyone knew than much about them...")

limerick to Dinah-Moe Humm
There was a green goblin who said
"So let's march where they fear to tread
And enjoy this short missguided youth,
For our passions grow old with truth."

-fleamailman-

Old 04 May 2012, 06:14 PM   #361824 / #113
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

Quote:
say it with roses
"...no no no humans, not roses at all, you need to send her an enormous bottle of beer, that's far more symbolic in my view and sends the message that you really do understand her inner sensitivities here..." mentioned the goblin about it

62 110 1066
Old 04 May 2012, 09:30 PM   #361926 / #114
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, the "mildly kinky or just perverse" thread

"...in real life it would be perverse to enact fantasies, whereas through the media it would just seem kinky, for the former is acting out a fantasy, very perverse then, at times criminal even, whereas the later would be just fantasising about the fantasy, something which just appeals to one's libido here..." said the goblin noting the type of books, films, television programs, comics, magazines and the like, most people read, that they would probable refer to as erotic and arousing here, adding "...and the Internet must be the ultimate way one can explore one's fantasies without actually being perverse that is...", "...I say, how all very victorian we are becoming now goblin...", said alice taking a rather coarse thick hairbrush in her little hand and pulling it hard through her golden locks again as she just looked at him reflected in the mirror of the dressing room table at this point, continuing "...your libido is so dishonest then goblin, and you with it, why I even bet that you fantasise each time about someone else too, don't you now goblin...", but the goblin didn't want to reply, and just pretended not to have heard her again, after all what was the point in confirming her suspicions about him, and besides, how could she possibly understand that a man's libido was triggered by fantasies, and not by that which he had got grown used to

Old 05 May 2012, 05:54 AM   #362034 / #115
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

the witchdoctor lifted up a finger, looked across at the goblin and continued by saying "...look, just remember, "it's "divide either of those into the number seventy" goblin...", as if it meant something important, or was supposed to mean something important, while watching the goblin's face, until a slight expression of disappointment replaced the more familiar smile for a moment, as the goblin's expression just remained a solid blanc, listening that is, but still blanc as ever, so the witchdoctor turned his head slightly to the side still looking, regained his smile, and continued, "...knowledge goblin, is not "what you know" but discerning from "what you know" both "what it actually means" and "how it has been presented to you", for example "10% steady growth per year" is an unobtrusive way saying "doubles in seven years" which sounds more shocking doesn't it, but depending on which one you hear of course, you'll register it differently won't you, and that's been their trick all along, and yet once you know it as their trick, simply the spin they give towards something betrays their stance to it and you...", “...yes but what about that seventy bit, what's that all about...”, “...well now, “divide into seventy” is like a currency conversion rate you see in the bank only that this time it's for "the annual growth rate of something to the point where it doubles", that's all, for example take that “10% annual growth rate” again, divide 10 into seventy, and you get seven, that is seven years until it will double, or take “doubles in seven years”, divide 7 into seventy and you get 10, a 10 percent growth rate then, all rather simply don't you think, even if the economists call it "the rule of 70" and the conversion rate as a "logarithm" here, but difficult wording has been their way of hiding their tricks, well till now I suppose, because let's just think that we're borrowing their secret back from them..."

63 114 1087
Old 05 May 2012, 09:48 AM   #362056 / #116
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

"...me I just post on whatever, after all a high hit count does appeal to my vanity, plus the fact that, if my posts are now spread over many forums it is less likely that my stuff will be entirely lost through some accidental mishap or misunderstanding somewhere...", mentioned the goblin who backed up his posts in this way, but recently the goblin had noticed the slight downturn in people's posting in general, continuing "...no, not just here, almost everywhere it seemed, though whether this is some seasonal thing, or just some ongoing trend on chat forums in general, is as yet something beyond my comprehension...", but the fact that the goblin would post on whatever was very typical of him, "...well yes, simply, for me this has more to do with something between me and my dailylife than towards anyone else here, after all to post is to win simply means that when someone posts something to the forum it feeds the forum with new content where everyone else gets something to read by it, ah but, by that same token then, how I rightly hate myself when yet another day has passed with nothing posted to show for it, my post on whatever is my way of winning against myself then..."

62 115 1100
Old 06 May 2012, 04:23 AM   #362286 / #117
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, from a woman's interest site, the "What are your non-negotiables" thread

"...if I could dry her tears, and make her smile, and give hope where others can't or won't, and hold her gently in my arms and promise "forever" to her from the highest heights and upon whatever one holds dearly to in life, defying man, devil, and even god by it, and only for a moment too..." the goblin paused thinking on it, then concluded the obvious by saying "...I would have known love where all before and after that one promise then would seem empty now, yes, that is the woman I seek, the one who could yet call out that promise from within me, for what, or who else, could possibly matter bar that moment then..."

63 116 1151
Old 06 May 2012, 06:25 PM   #362420 / #118
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere,

Quote:
I'm gone for like a month and I don't even get a single message or ANYTHING! I don't feel loved anymore!!
the goblin loved posts, saying "...well, if you wish us to miss you, then be elsewhere, ah but if you want us to love you, be here for that love you seek from us then..."

63 117 1174
Old 07 May 2012, 05:24 AM   #362552 / #119
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, just sharing

Quote:
Then eat poo and die
"...ah yes, our very own "poo life" as we know it then..." remembered the goblin who would have rephrased it more so continue eating this poo, or just die outright then, in fact, the goblin had woken up this morning feeling guilty, the dream once more had been about his not meeting expectations here and letting the side down, something that recurs often enough in differing forms during his sleep it seems, he retorted "...but surely "as long as I am paying my dues" why should the rest matter so much to me, I mean why should bigger, better, and even more poo be what this life is all about, no, I'm definitely missing something here in that I actually prefer simplicity..."

63 118 1203
Old 07 May 2012, 01:49 PM   #362631 / #120
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, the "is there an afterlife" thread

"...if one knows or cares too much about what happens after one's end, then "this life now" becomes reduced to what I wonder, some sort of cheap points game meant to curry favor with some power up there, so probably for that reason alone, I don't want to "know of", nor wish to "believe in", nor even "care about" anything that that afterlife might hold in store for me, if there is an afterlife that is..." the goblin stopped, then continued "...so my actions in this life are based solely upon their own merit now, something which hopefullly you'll agree is more honest towards those actions, and towards other people around me too, than speculating over their consequences concerning one's future arrival in some heaven or hell or wherever then...", simply the goblin's mind was harping back to that other line of his do you really need a reward to do good, and where of course far more likely an explanation here was that afterlife actually played neatly into the manipulations of these "powers that be" on earth rather than any power that might come across afterwards, "...so no, for me it's not belief, nor atheism, nor even agnosticism, simply I refuse to speculate, for I am here today, alone, honest to myself in each of my decisions, something both correct in itself and how else should it be too..."

63 119 1219
Old 08 May 2012, 05:11 AM   #362943 / #121
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, the "what do you need" thread

the goblin had sat a long moment at his usual table in the quiet bistro, reflecting, trying to answer the question for himself then, somewhat fruitlessly it seemed, until he just answered it to himself, saying "...I need an awesome thought then, whose thought that is doesn't really matter, but anyway something to take me out of myself awhile and return me to myself uplifted and gratified, for "people" "places" and "things" are all transient to me, no, not because they are, which of course they are too, no, more because I am transient amongst them, simply I'm passing through this life now, we all are in fact, and at times I need to remember that simple need to step out of myself to understand it..."

63 120 1249
Old 08 May 2012, 10:28 PM   #363206 / #122
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

the goblin was thinking about how the sky darkens early this time of year, with a wind who, like autumn's acrobat, simply sweeps up and gyrates that mosaic carpet beneath those trees that lines both side the street in ever changing kaleidescope of patterns, and where the air smells as it did once, of damp foliage, in the dark inviting warmth and intensity of it then, "...in fact, it's the time of year I love most then..." started the goblin continuing "...where, as a child, I kicked through these leaves that I so carefully walk over now, and where that drifting smell of burnt chestnuts from somewhere, or that real worry, of how dr who really could save our world from the invading daleks this time, seemed so much more pressing than any sudden shooting of a president or some far away war that barely registered on my little young radar...", other thoughts now, like fireworks in the garden, with dad playing the grand magician's role to a raging bonfire, surfaced, "...oh yes, all that was autumn in my childhood then, and this autumn too, carries me back there once more, a spell perhaps, or some mere association then, but at any rate, a vision as "real" to my eyes as "gone" to my touch, well what of it..." mused the goblin who simply saluted it once more in its annual passing..."

64 121 1279
Old 09 May 2012, 01:53 PM   #363332 / #123
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

"...no she never really forgives, does she..." said the goblin "...though she might let it pass for a while that is, it will return between them again, these things always do you know, while he for his part lives in fear if he values her, or as some trapped fool if he doesn't, where mistrust, disappointment, regret, shame and a whole bunch of other inner emotions flog the backs of their relationship from that point on..." mentioned the goblin who would never confess it, nor repeat it, nor ever talk about it now, just that from somewhere inside he knew he knew

64 122 1291
Old 10 May 2012, 05:43 AM   #363588 / #124
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere, nothing new under the sun

Quote:
this poster ponders the sayings that the goblin has posted and sums it up with 2 words. "Free Will'.... the goblin as well as everyone has a choice, to do what is right or to do their own thing.
"...ah yes "one's free will" again..." voiced the goblin continuing "...oh but there's always that rub isn't there, in that god can't but know what a man will choose each time since he knows everything down to the finest detail already, that is both of what we will be chosen and of how it will turn out too, he is in effect the instigator and judge of a situation that he himself creates for man here..." voiced the goblin again and, although theologians had throughout history tried to square this circle before, the goblin just reminded himself of something, saying "...no, it's only when I take "reward/punishment" out of the equation that what remains is a clearer honesty towards my actions here, simply "one does good because it is good to do so", where speculations upon the afterlife would just distort that honestly now..."

64 123 1317
Old 10 May 2012, 05:09 PM   #363738 / #125
fleamailman

repost from elsewhere

"...actually I'm thinking that we seem to be spoiled for disaster scenarios these days..." started the goblin, continuing "...well, what with solar flares, global warming, planetary collisions and alien invasions, sounding slightly more conducive to thought than this global recession with bird flu..." as his hand swayed out its open empty palm as if giving away something now "...no I blame the internet then, isn't it just amazing the way it just acts like a ouija board to one's fears each time...", definitely the goblin was not feeling normal today, though it had been a long time since he had been anything near sane it seems, "...no, better sign off before what I write here just confirms everyone's suspicions upon the subject of my sanity..." voiced the goblin as he rushed off fearing sanity most, "...ah no, done that been there, no thanks..." came his voice from the ever growing distance now

64 124 1328

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Community Forums > Arts, Media & Literature