Rosa Rubicondior
The Skeptical Zone
Watching the Deniers
Others
Christianity Disproved
Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Human Rights

Notices

Old 02 May 2012, 12:09 PM   #360738 / #1
phands
Long term atheist

Default Pastor Says Parents Should Punch ‘Girly’ 4 Year Olds

http://www.care2.com/causes/pastor-s...year-olds.html

This repellent scumbag gives permission for parents' to break their kids' wrist....unbe-fucking-lievable....

Quote:
The Pastor of a North Carolina Baptist Church has been captured on audio urging parents to punch 4 year old boys if they ‘act girly’ and to ‘break their limp wrists’.

Sean Harris has been the Senior Pastor of Berean Baptist Church in Fayetteville (near Fort Bragg) for six years.

In audio obtained by the website Good As You, Harris says:

“So your little son starts to act a little girlish when he is four years old and instead of squashing that like a cockroach and saying, ‘Man up, son, get that dress off you and get outside and dig a ditch, because that is what boys do,’ you get out the camera and you start taking pictures of Johnny acting like a female and then you upload it to YouTube and everybody laughs about it and the next thing you know, this dude, this kid is acting out childhood fantasies that should have been squashed.”

“Can I make it any clearer? Dads, the second you see your son dropping the limp wrist, you walk over there and crack that wrist. Man up. Give him a good punch. Ok? You are not going to act like that. You were made by God to be a male and you are going to be a male.”

“And when your daughter starts acting to Butch you reign her in. And you say, ‘Oh, no, sweetheart. You can play sports. Play them to the glory of God. But sometimes you are going to act like a girl and walk like a girl and talk like a girl and smell like a girl and that means you are going to be beautiful. You are going to be attractive. You are going to dress yourself up.’”

Adds Harris:

“Can I take charge like that as a parent? Yeah, you can. You are authorized. I just gave you a special dispensation this morning to do that.”

Harris’ rant was part of the ‘Marriage Sunday’ campaign of those supporting North Carolina’s Amendment One campaign, which would define marriage as between a man and a woman in the state’s constitution. As well as his call to violence by parents, Harris condemns LGBT people as “sick” and says that rejection of the constitutional amendment will lead to ‘Muslims taking over’.

Harris’ church also runs the Berean Baptist Academy, which he describes as:

“A place where students receive an excellent elementary and secondary education in a warm, friendly, distinctively conservative atmosphere. Our staff and faculty are fully devoted followers of Christ and active members of conservative churches.”

“My prayer and goal for each student is that they become followers of Christ, grow in their understanding of the Bible, mature in the faith, and graduate with a Biblical worldview as tomorrow’s Christian leaders.”

Listen to audio of Harris at the link above.
Old 02 May 2012, 12:15 PM   #360743 / #2
rog

What a bastard! And a moron to boot. I wouldn't have shed a tear if someone took it upon themselves to try to correct his behaviour with a smack in the gob, but that's not the way we do things...
rog is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 02 May 2012, 12:40 PM   #360748 / #3
LoneWolf
Not so aLone anymore

There is a pretty high bar you have to reach to convince me that certain speech constitutes inciting violence. THIS reaches that bar.
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 02 May 2012, 12:58 PM   #360754 / #4
neilstone40
Heretic

What an utterly reprehensible, misogynistic, homophobic, self-serving, vile scumbag.

The sad thing is there are plenty of others out there who also use the bible as an excuse for brutalising their children while spreading fear, hatred and their own brand of religiously mandated prejudice.

I've met too many of these types who feel their God puts them above the law. Sooner or later they realise the law doesn't quite agree but by that time they've already been the cause of untold suffering.

I'm certainly with LW on the issue of this being an incitement to violence...wouldn't it be lovely if those who have the power to prosecute and jail this moron agreed...
Old 02 May 2012, 02:21 PM   #360790 / #5
MattShizzle
Zombie for Satan

A parent who actually took that advice would soon be in jail and their kids taken away by CPS.
MattShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 02 May 2012, 05:27 PM   #360845 / #6
farhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShizzle View Post
A parent who actually took that advice would soon be in jail and their kids taken away by CPS.
Provided somebody bothered to report it. Plenty of kids have died at the hands of abusive parents and CPS never showed up.
farhat is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 03 May 2012, 02:42 PM   #361306 / #7
phands
Long term atheist

Default Update: the scum is trying to pretend he didn't say it...

There's an update at care2causes....

The vermin is now trying to backtrack....

Quote:
Important Clarification to Sunday's Sermon 4/29/2012
Dear Berean Family,

By now you may know that my words, from Sunday morning's sermon, about effeminate behavior in children are being completely taken out of context by those in the LGBT community. (Nearly every article is misquoting me.)
[...]

For the record, I want to ensure everyone that I do NOT believe physical force is capable of fixing effeminate behavior or homosexual behavior. Parents should not punch babies or children. (Ultimately only the gospel of Jesus Christ has the power to deliver one from sexual immorality and behavior including effeminacy; )
That makes it all OK, then....

As before, there are links to more material in the text at the link.....and some of it is worth reading....

Quote:
Wow. The world has heard a North Carolina Baptist pastor call for violence against ‘girly’ four year-old boys and ‘butch’ girls — and could he possibly backtrack fast enough?

Earlier this week, pastor Sean Harris was caught on tape urging parents to use violence to get ‘girly’ boys to man up. So your son has started acting a little dainty? Punch him. After a nationwide uproar, Harris has this to say:

I misspoke.

And now, according to most of the media, all is forgiven. Could you imagine the reaction if, say, an Iman in North Carolina called for children to be punched if they acted ‘girly’?

Never mind that he said in reference to punching 4 year-olds: “I am giving you [parents] special dispensation to go out and do this to your children”? He misspoke.

This guy runs a school, and his ‘apology’ could not be a clearer non apology:

Hopefully [my emphasis] you understood that I was speaking in a forceful manner to emphasize the degree to which gender distinctions matter to God; and therefore, must matter to each of us and especially parents.

The local newspaper headlines that he was joking. So advocating assault on a 4 year old is just a joke:

“Man up. Give them a good punch. OK?”

This ‘sermon’ draws calls of ‘Amen,’ which you can hear in the recording. Does the congregation feel that a punch to the kidneys or throat is OK but to the face is too far? What level of ‘biblical’ violence against minor children acting ‘girly’ or ‘butch’ would be too much? Stoning?

After his remarks were posted online he was told, according to him, ‘Pastor, we know you didn’t mean that.’

Said Roberta Humphries, executive director of Fayetteville’s Child Advocacy Center, to the Fayetteville Observer:

Unfortunately, this pastor is telling his congregation to harm their children. We know that children thrive when they grow up in safe, stable, nurturing relationships. We know that when children are fearful and feel unsafe, that they’re far more likely to suffer emotionally, socially and physically.

Is encouraging child abuse not illegal in North Carolina?

The pastor said he ‘misspoke,’ and it’s all fixed. Before long (courtesy right-wing blogosphere) it’ll all be the militant gays’ fault for demonizing a good Christian who was just enjoying his religious freedom to encourage child abuse. Just ignore what he said. He ‘misspoke.’

Amen.
ETA: The coward also shut off commenting...

Quote:
(The comment option was removed because of the extreme hateful things that were being posted.)
Hateful things, like pointing out his wrongness.
phands is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 03 May 2012, 03:05 PM   #361315 / #8
phands
Long term atheist

After I posted the previous, I kept on looking around the scumbag's blog site.

This is his Official position on child discipline....it's part of his sig. My bold....

Quote:
Discipline of Children: We believe that parents should train their children in light of the gospel. Remembering the love and forgiveness that God has shown them, parents in turn should train their children with the purpose of reflecting the Heavenly Father to their children. Parents should consider their responsibility to be the instrument of discipline in their child's life (Prov. 19:18). At times this may include appropriate and reasonable physical means (Prov. 10:13) employed upon the fleshy portion of the child's buttocks (Prov. 22:15; 23:13); that this method is to be viewed as correction rather than punishment (Prov. 23:13); and that this correction will result in the child's physical and spiritual betterment (Prov. 23:14). We believe a parent should correct his child with other means as well, but that they should-as led by the Holy Spirit-model the chastening of God the Father (Prov. 3:11-12) Who corrects all of His children out of love (2 Sam 7:14; Prov. 3:12; Heb 12:6; Rev 3:19) and forgives them by virtue of His Son's redemptive work on the cross (1 Pet. 3:18). The Father does this to develop His child's reverence for Himself (Heb. 12:9) and likeness to His Son Jesus Christ (Rom 8:29; Heb 12:11). Moreover, just as the Heavenly Father disciplines His children physically for their benefit, it is in the best interests of a child to receive loving and proportional correction while under parental care (Heb. 12:10). Furthermore, we strongly caution the parent in the correcting of infants and younger children in this manner, and we reject the idea that bruising is ever the objective when disciplining a child. We also reject disciplining while angry (James 1:19-20) or causing public embarrassment to a child (Eph. 6:4). Lastly, we believe civil laws should be honored (Rom 13:1-4; Titus 3:1), and that the chastening ideal set forth in the Old Testament must be interpreted in light of the New Testament.

This unpardonable scrote advocates child abuse even as he "apologises", but cautions parents not leave any tell-tale bruises!!! And he runs a school.....
Old 03 May 2012, 03:43 PM   #361342 / #9
DMB
Old git
Beloved deceased

My first reaction was to think that he is barking. But then I saw the "apology". If he's capable of reacting like that, it's clear that he is fundamentally dishonest and morally challenged.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 06 May 2012, 02:04 PM   #362343 / #10
phands
Long term atheist

Default Atheists to Protest North Carolina Church

http://www.atheistrev.com/2012/05/at...-carolina.html

Looks like we can organise ourselves after all....

Quote:
I used to wonder whether atheists would ever organize protests of churches. Not churches in general, mind you, but certain Christian extremist churches that had been preaching a destructive message of hate. I reasoned that something like a well-organized picket of such a church might do much to call attention to our efforts and show that we would remain silent no more. I agreed with readers who suggested that picketing might be especially effective if it was aimed at specific issues (e.g., picketing the Mormon church for funding Proposition 8 in California). The subject turned out to be surprisingly provocative for atheists and required me to write more than I ever thought I'd need to on the subject.

Evidently, there is going to be a protest of such a church in Fayetteville, NC, tomorrow. I trust that you've heard about the pastor there who advocated the physical abuse of gay children. Pastor Sean Harris (Berean Baptist Church) has retracted his vile comments, or at least some of them. However, it makes since to question his sincerity when the following was part of his statement:

Quote:
Those weren't planned words, but what I do stand by is that the word of God makes it clear that effeminate behavior is ungodly. I'm not going to compromise on that.
You can find details about tomorrow's protest here. I will be interested to hear how it goes, and I applaud the group's effort for calling attention to Pastor Harris and his hateful message.

H/T to Atheist Oasis
Old 11 May 2012, 12:10 PM   #363964 / #11
phands
Long term atheist

Default Update:Pastor says ‘Discipline’ Depends on Kid’s Weight

http://www.care2.com/causes/update-t...ght-video.html

This guy needs to be kept away from kids for ever...

Quote:
The North Carolina pastor who sermonized that boys should get “a good punch” if they were being too effeminate now says that physical discipline depends on their weight.

Pastor Sean Harris of Berean Baptist Church in Fayetteville drew international opprobrium with his rant, which included telling his laughing parishioners:

Dads, the second you see your son dropping the limp wrist, you walk over there and crack that wrist. Man up. Give him a good punch. Ok?

In a strange new interview (watch below) with local Justin Griffith, Harris responded to a question about whether he was literally recommending the use of a rod:

“No, of course not. We may use some instrument of discipline in a careful and appropriate way. Depending on the age of the child, depending on the weight of the child.”

He said this after saying to Griffith “never beat your child” more than once.

After his sermon draw international attention, Harris told his local newspaper that he “misspoke.”

In a comment in response to Griffith’s posting of video of her interview with him, Harris is now saying that he issued a “global retraction and apology” in an interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN and that:

I used two words, crack and punch, both of which are being completely blown out of context.

I was not advocating for child abuse. I said, never beat your child. You … and many others are misquoting me. They are putting words in my mouth that I never said.

But he told Cooper:

“You know, it’s amazing how ‘punch’ has been equated to inciting violence against gay youth. That’s not what I meant.”

Instead, he said, the reference should be interpreted differently: “A shove, an affirmation. You see coaches give their players a good punch, a good slug. It’s a way of affirming the gender distinctions between a male and a female,” he said.

There also was no “global retraction and apology”:

Anyone looking for a sweeping apology will be disappointed.

“I was apologizing for failing to say the right thing, for failing to be more careful, to make sure that no one thinks that Sean Harris is suggesting, as was said – although I never said this – … ‘Beat the gay outta children.’ Those weren’t my words, I didn’t even believe there is such a thing as gay children. So I wasn’t saying that. I was dealing with effeminate behavior, and instructing parents to affirm the manhood or the womanhood in their children,” he said.

“No, I don’t think that I need to apologize for preaching to my people what the word of God says. That’s my responsibility.”

Claiming to be the victim is standard practice on the religious right and Harris also comments on Griffith’s post that:

The real issue with my sermon is that it is a pro-heterosexual marriage sermon.

Harris does say that he disagrees with another local Pastor who backed him up, Mark Rowden, who said:

Pastor Harris should be praised for his bold stance in scripture. People get so bent out of shape over things. If America don’t stop allowing such ungodliness to go unchallenged, we’ll find our nation like Sodom. We forget the Bible says “spare the rod, spoil the child”.

But from Harris’ latest comments they apparently only disagree on the definition of ‘rod.’

Locals held a protest outside Harris’ church on Sunday. Micah Royal, of the Progressive Christian Alliance and pastor at Diversity in Faith, was among them. He told NBC-17:

“As a pastor, I feel very strongly that I need to speak out against these words. This is my book too and I do not believe the words of scripture stand behind beating, abusing or marginalizing anyone, especially children,” he said.

More than 10,000 Christians have now signed onto a statement circulated by Faithful America, a faith-based Washington, D.C. nonprofit. It says:

“Faithful Christians are appalled by Pastor Sean Harris’ hateful tirade urging violence against gay and lesbian youth. Violence and child abuse can never be justified by the teachings of Jesus Christ. All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity, should be assured in church that they are beloved children of God.”

Watch Justin Griffith’s interview with Harris: <AT THE SITE >
Old 11 May 2012, 06:49 PM   #364102 / #12
trendkill
Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion

Quote:
“You know, it’s amazing how ‘punch’ has been equated to inciting violence against gay youth.
Yes, absolutely amazing.
trendkill is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 11 May 2012, 06:54 PM   #364107 / #13
MattShizzle
Zombie for Satan

Did he get called a douchebag by Mr Sulu yet?
MattShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Human Rights