Christianity Disproved
Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Religion

Notices

Old 02 May 2012, 11:50 PM   #361016 / #1
Greatest I am

Default Your God is your ultimate barrier to finding the Godhead.

Your God is your ultimate barrier to finding the Godhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Eoxt1hRm9c&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGx4IlppSgU

The Jews, the true authority and interpreters of Eden, saw mankind’s gain of knowledge as an elevation in their struggle to understand God. Israel [as understood by Hebrews, = he strives with God]. Strive can be read as to mean to work either with or against. Jews equated God more with a source of knowledge than a source of command that must be obeyed. This is shown by archetypal Moses ignoring God’s law of divorce.

Being a Gnostic Christian, my view goes to following the Jewish view for two basic reasons. They have more authority over the O. T. than Christians and secondly, they give our creation, beginning and God a happy ending for our passage through Eden. True evil had yet to manifest itself to that point in time.

Christians on the other hand, with their view of Eden as man’s fall, cannot see a perfect heaven without evil. God fails on this issue and admits it by casting Satan out.

Christians cannot see a perfect Eden on earth without evil. God fails on this issue and admits it by casting Adam and Eve out.

In Noah’s day, God repented from his sins. He missed the mark and admits it by destroying most of mankind and animal kind with an immoral genocide. God fails on this issue as well.

Did the Jews win in their striving against God to a point where they could judge him?
I think so thanks to Moses and the divorce laws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7irFN2gdI

We cannot today know why Christianity reversed some of the Jewish thinking when embracing the O. T. and it’s God and going from man’s elevation to man’s fall.

Should Christians consider following that good Jewish example and do as other cultures have done as shown by Joseph Campbell and seek a messiah the way most Jews do?

If not, then Christians will have to learn to live in a world where their God can be accurately described like this.

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Dawkins and most Jews call the bible fiction. Jews can thus get around this accurate description of God by just admitting the truth. It is all myth and metaphor. Literalist and fundamental Christians cannot and I think that over time this rather ugly God will kill Christianity.

At one time the Christian God of the gaps may have had a role to play for us but man has moved on. Christians should perhaps do the same and seek their true God.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 03 May 2012, 12:04 AM   #361023 / #2
phands
Long term atheist

What a pile of cack.
Old 03 May 2012, 01:39 PM   #361290 / #3
Greatest I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by phands View Post
What a pile of cack.
Sure. But only if you do not recognize that I see your God, secular law that is, also as one that can be improved upon.

Please remember that this was written for those whose God, a set of law, has been found in an old book of myths.

Gnostics can see things from many angles. You should try it.

Regards
DL
Old 03 May 2012, 01:44 PM   #361293 / #4
phands
Long term atheist

DL,

I don't have a god.

Gnostics may see things from many angles, but it looks like most of those angles are distorted to the point of uselessness.
phands is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 03 May 2012, 03:02 PM   #361312 / #5
Greatest I am

Quote:
DL,

I don't have a god.

Gnostics may see things from many angles, but it looks like most of those angles are distorted to the point of uselessness.
As I stated. God is a set of rules to live by. In that sense we all have Gods. Your is just a political God. What is he/it/rules?
Liberal, Conservative, Communist, Green?
Get the idea?

If you want to say that you do not have a set of rules to live by then go ahead.

Regards
DL
Old 03 May 2012, 03:24 PM   #361324 / #6
phands
Long term atheist

I do have a set of rules.

But you can't just redefine god to be a set of rules....god doesn't exist; rules do.

The idea is duff.
phands is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 03 May 2012, 09:25 PM   #361516 / #7
Valheru

Well I had no problems finding the godhead, all it took was a google. Fuck me though if I'll find it after a half dozen draughts.

Valheru is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 03 May 2012, 10:11 PM   #361541 / #8
Barefoot Bree
Token Aging Flower Child

That's just.... disturbing. Makes me glad I'm not a guy facing that or peeing my pants. Dunno if I'd be able to.

Go post it in the Not Safe for Church thread, though.
Old 04 May 2012, 11:44 AM   #361741 / #9
Greatest I am

Quote:
I do have a set of rules.

But you can't just redefine god to be a set of rules....god doesn't exist; rules do.

The idea is duff.
Exactly my point. Believers cannot follow what does not exist either and like you, they can only follow the rules. They call it God.

You call it whatever political stripe you follow.

Be it a philosophy or a theology that guides you, believer or not, the only thing that can be followed is the set of rules.

Regards
DL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Religion