Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Community Forums > Introductions

Notices

Old 19 Oct 2017, 08:45 AM   #678469 / #51
DrZoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShizzle View Post
At one time TR was similar to SC, with somewhat less moderation. Even RnR at one time wasn't as bad as TR became. Definitely neither were ever alt-right. In fact, pretty sure any alt-right type would be quickly driven away like most everyone else would.
Hmm... but that's a problem. A forum should attract a variety of people with a variety of views. For a forum to truly be a free thought forum we want people to feel free to express themselves. A forum where people don't have opposing views is a dead forum. Even alt-right people should feel welcome.

The problem with the alt-right isn't the opinions they hold. But that they have rarely thought it through. And that they spam forums with with pithy posts, without substance. That's where moderation comes in. Moderators can force people like this to make an effort, or get kicked out.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 11:35 AM   #678471 / #52
DrZoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
There are a couple of precedents for the other side of that. Rants & Raves (now deceased) followed by TalkRational (R&R's illegitimate love child) had almost no moderation, but are most definitely NOT alt-right. Pretty much full on Ctrl-Left.
The Ctril-Left is the bastard child of the alt-right. Just as bad. I don't have a problem with disagreements. My problem is with comments and arguments that haven't been thought through.

Few things makes me as worried on a forum as somebody quoting Chomsky. That rarely ends well.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 19 Oct 2017, 09:23 PM   #678489 / #53
Jobar
Zen Hedonist
Admin; Mod: Religion, The Smoking Section

I moved some of the disputation to its own thread- Elitism.
Jobar is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #678651 / #54
Shake
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo St. Gallus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo St. Gallus View Post
So, you've not spent any time at freethought forum? I've been there since 2004 and they claim 'no moderators'. There are two administrators, and members have been ejected, but it is usually because of patently illegal behavior.
Thanks for reminding me of FF. I just re-registered there. First joined in Feb 2006 and last visited in 2010. Never posted much, but I remember enjoying it. Recognize a lot of the posters' names from here and there around the various secular internet stops I've made.
It is not nearly as robust as it was ten years back. But then, few of us are.
Part of that is due to what the Doc said above:
Quote:
... the trolls and parasites will come = death
They came from within. IIRC, that board broke off from the board, now defunct, known as the Heathen Hangout. I was among the earliest members to make the move over to FF. I got somewhat embroiled in a feud between the two boards, or rather the admins of each (Gurdur and viscousmemories). While largely defending HH, I managed to stay in fairly good graces at FF, at least as far as I knew. The board went downhill before long, but I had friends with whom I kept in touch there, and also had others whom I just liked to read, even if we barely interacted. I flamed out there in a mix of online harshness and a rough RL spot, a bad combination. It gave me good reason not to go back, though I do stop in from time to time just to lurk.
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Community Forums > Introductions