Friends of the Secular Café: Forums
Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain
Talk Freethought
Rational Skepticism Forum
EvC Forum: Evolution vs. Creation
Living Nonreligion Discussion Forum
The Round Table (RatPags)
Talk Rational!
Blogs
Blue Collar Atheist
Camels With Hammers
Ebonmuse: Daylight Atheism
Nontheist Nexus
The Re-Enlightenment
Rosa Rubicondior
The Skeptical Zone
Watching the Deniers
Others
Christianity Disproved
Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk
 
       

Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2017, 09:40 PM   #677928 / #1
praxis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,347
Default California Wildfires

Coincidence? We'll see.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cali...hrome&ie=UTF-8
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 03:54 AM   #678101 / #2
Copernicus
Industrial Linguist
Admin; Mod: Miscellaneous Discussions, Philosophy & Morality, Politics & World Events
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 7,428
Default

Please elaborate.
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 11:54 AM   #678109 / #3
praxis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,347
Default

Well, it is an event that can dominate headlines and change public conversations, isn't it.
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 05:29 PM   #678138 / #4
Copernicus
Industrial Linguist
Admin; Mod: Miscellaneous Discussions, Philosophy & Morality, Politics & World Events
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 7,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis View Post
Well, it is an event that can dominate headlines and change public conversations, isn't it.
Yes, you are right. Are you suggesting that agents of the Trump administration started those fires?
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 06:00 PM   #678142 / #5
praxis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis View Post
Well, it is an event that can dominate headlines and change public conversations, isn't it.
Yes, you are right. Are you suggesting that agents of the Trump administration started those fires?
I don't know who or what started the fires. What I do know is that it happened at a good time for both gun manufacturers and the NRA. If anyone needed a big event to divert attention away from a negative event it was them. This particular one was most significant too with the number of killed and wounded and the fact that it happened at an event where many of their supporters and apologists would be gathered. They don't need any other supporters and apologists outside of the ones present to be rethinking their political position concerning guns. It would be a way of isolating the people directly affected by the shooting and limiting the fallout as best as they possibly can.
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 06:27 PM   #678144 / #6
Copernicus
Industrial Linguist
Admin; Mod: Miscellaneous Discussions, Philosophy & Morality, Politics & World Events
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 7,428
Default

Fair enough. Then I would answer your rhetorical "Coincidence?" with a firm "Yes". Coincidences happen.
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 07:18 PM   #678145 / #7
praxis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,347
Default

I understand it's been reported that some sparks from electrical wires in some of the areas might be what started at least some of the fires.

You'd think that with all the caution that's been instituted since the patriot act and the history of the area's propensity to easily ignite that officials and electric companies would predict that sort of thing and take appropriate measures beforehand to ensure that the chances of it would be reduced if not eliminated altogether.

And just to be clear - the suggestion of arson is not a denial of global warming.
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 08:15 PM   #678154 / #8
Copernicus
Industrial Linguist
Admin; Mod: Miscellaneous Discussions, Philosophy & Morality, Politics & World Events
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 7,428
Default

Fires have occurred accidentally before. Electric companies and officials know that they will happen again but have no way of telling where or when. The simplest assumption here is that this was a fire that started accidentally and spread before it could be controlled. A wildly unnecessary one is that people conspired to start a major conflagration in California wine country just to distract the public from paying attention to another.
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 08:19 PM   #678156 / #9
MattShizzle
Zombie for Satan
 
MattShizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bernville, PA
Posts: 18,829
Default

These happen somewhere out west every year.
MattShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 12 Oct 2017, 11:12 PM   #678171 / #10
praxis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The simplest assumption here is that this was a fire that started accidentally and spread before it could be controlled. A wildly unnecessary one is that people conspired to start a major conflagration in California wine country just to distract the public from paying attention to another.
As wild as it might sound, arson has occurred before too, and there's often intent involved and it would be wise to keep an open mind. Perhaps not a simple enough assumption for some to consider, but it does happen.
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 13 Oct 2017, 12:38 AM   #678177 / #11
Copernicus
Industrial Linguist
Admin; Mod: Miscellaneous Discussions, Philosophy & Morality, Politics & World Events
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 7,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The simplest assumption here is that this was a fire that started accidentally and spread before it could be controlled. A wildly unnecessary one is that people conspired to start a major conflagration in California wine country just to distract the public from paying attention to another.
As wild as it might sound, arson has occurred before too, and there's often intent involved and it would be wise to keep an open mind. Perhaps not a simple enough assumption for some to consider, but it does happen.
I think you ought to keep an open mind to Occam's Razor. Do not introduce unnecessary complexity in your argument just to reach a conclusion that you find attractive.
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 13 Oct 2017, 01:25 AM   #678179 / #12
praxis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The simplest assumption here is that this was a fire that started accidentally and spread before it could be controlled. A wildly unnecessary one is that people conspired to start a major conflagration in California wine country just to distract the public from paying attention to another.
As wild as it might sound, arson has occurred before too, and there's often intent involved and it would be wise to keep an open mind. Perhaps not a simple enough assumption for some to consider, but it does happen.
I think you ought to keep an open mind to Occam's Razor. Do not introduce unnecessary complexity in your argument just to reach a conclusion that you find attractive.
Good advice - wrong thread!
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous Discussions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
 
Ocean Zero by vBSkins.com | Customised by Antechinus