Rosa Rubicondior
The Skeptical Zone
Watching the Deniers
Others
Christianity Disproved
Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Politics & World Events

Notices

Old 09 Nov 2017, 05:01 PM   #679782 / #1
Jobar
Zen Hedonist
Admin; Mod: Religion, The Smoking Section

Default Texas church shooting

I'm sure that we're all sickened by this, and thus no one has started a thread on it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/06/us...ect/index.html

When I first heard of it, I was seriously worried that this was a REAL case of a militant atheist, and that he might have specifically attacked the people in that church because of his anger at religion. But from that CNN article it appears more about psychotic misanthropy, than pure hatred of religion.

But I do worry that we'll eventually see a psycho atheist shooting up a church or religious procession and leaving behind some sort of anti-religious manifesto, which may cause us 'out' atheists quite a bit of grief.
Jobar is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 09 Nov 2017, 06:23 PM   #679783 / #2
MattShizzle
Zombie for Satan

It sounded like he was targeting his ex mother-in-law who went to that church but wasn't there that day. Even with the incredibly lax gun laws in Texas, he shouldn't have legally been able to own one, but someone at the Air Force really screwed the pooch.
MattShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 10 Nov 2017, 01:15 PM   #679863 / #3
sohy

Matt is correct. This was a case of gross negligence by the armed forces. And why did a man who bashed a baby's skull in, not get a long jail sentence?

There have been at least three or four church shootings over the years and none of the shooters were atheists. Not saying there isn't an atheist crazy enough to do that, but it's usually not the first thing that comes to my mind when such shootings occur.
sohy is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 10 Nov 2017, 01:53 PM   #679873 / #4
Rheanne
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobar View Post
I'm sure that we're all sickened by this, and thus no one has started a thread on it.
Naw - just desensitized. Oh look, another gunfuck in Caliber Country. Film at eleven.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. The civilized world is just rolling their eyes.
Rheanne is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 10 Nov 2017, 01:56 PM   #679875 / #5
Rheanne
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohy View Post
This was a case of gross negligence by the armed forces.
It's hilarious how everybody is looking for a scapegoat while ignoring the basic problem.
Rheanne is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 10 Nov 2017, 04:00 PM   #679882 / #6
sohy

Oh, we are well aware of the basic problem. It doesn't need to be mentioned in every thread. But, since you brought up all those civilized countries, perhaps it would help if all those civilized countries stopped selling so many of their guns to the US. If not, they are part of the problem too.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ies-laws-nra/#

Quote:
Every time another mass shooter unleashes a torrent of bullets in a school or theater, the world puzzles over America’s permissive approach to gun ownership. A story following up on the Sandy Hook massacre in Austria’s largest daily, Krone, noted the apparent link between “lax weapons laws” in the United States and our “high rate of gun killings, compared to other western nations.” But the newspaper didn’t mention how Austrian gun makers profit from and help perpetuate those lax weapons laws. In 2009, a whopping 67 percent of Austria’s gun exports went to the United States. Here’s the breakdown for our top 10 foreign suppliers.
Guns are more than just an American problem. A lot of guns are manufactured in European countries and some even do things to help perpetuate our lenient gun laws, by giving monetary support to the NRA.

Still, an even bigger question is why are so many males so violent? Male violence has been escalating recently and if they don't have guns, they simply mow down people with trucks. And that doesn't just happen in the US.

We have two issues here. One concerns the insane number of guns in the US and in the world. The other is male violence. What solutions do you have for that?
Old 10 Nov 2017, 06:20 PM   #679890 / #7
Roo St. Gallus
Loose Contact

Good luck with that.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 06:53 PM   #679895 / #8
sohy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo St. Gallus View Post
Good luck with that.
Exactly. There are no solutions on the horizon to lower the amount male violence or the number of guns in the world. Do y'all know that it's easier to buy a gun than it is to sell a gun in the US?

I have a friend that is a member of a movement that is trying to put and end to the 2nd amendment. I admire her willingness to be an activist, but at the same time, I think those in the movement are wasting their time. She must be an optimist if she thinks this movement is going to get anywhere in our lifetimes. She's also a retired law enforcement agent. But, I digress.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 08:57 PM   #679900 / #9
Roo St. Gallus
Loose Contact

No, you don't digress at all.

The thoughtless in this country are primed to believe that the regulation powers are intent upon taking their weaponry away from them entirely and consequently have constructed a false narrative and perverted interpretation of the Second Amendment of the US Constitution about their having free and open access to firearms. The 'powers that be' have actually been complicit in extending and maintaining this false narrative....

"The right to keep and bear arms" does not guaranteed one the right to keep a fully automatic weapon with armor piercing rounds and huge ammunition clips. That is NOT necessary for either sport hunting, nor home protection. All firearm exchange should be recorded and all holders of firearms required to show adequate safety training and provision of appropriate safety lock equipment.

The problem is that there are now whackjobs....mentally unstable individuals...out there who think that it perfectly appropriate to intimidate or kill those who threaten their access to entirely unnecessary firepower. They have been taught as much will be necessary; inevitable, even. We have created a monster that will, in all likelihood, inflict terrible retribution upon those who attempt to bring it to heel.

"Assault weapons" are NOT required. Such weapons can and should be banned entirely. This would NOT abrogate the provisions of the Second Amendment, even as the NRA interprets it. Firearms would still be allowed, but regulated for public safety....be "well regulated", like that constitutionally required of the now fictitious 'militia'.
Roo St. Gallus is online now   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 11 Nov 2017, 01:02 AM   #679914 / #10
Hermit
Metierioric fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobar View Post

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/06/us...ect/index.html
Yes, I'm sickened by this, but no, that is not why I was not moved to start a thread about it. I am simply jaded. Another day, another mass shooting in the USA. And why shouldn't there be in a country where there are just about as many privately owned guns as there are people, where the majority of its states have formal or de facto "shall Issue" policies, where gun regulations like background checks are ridiculously easy to bypass and where a significant number of people routinely carry guns wherever they go "just in case".

To an outsider it looks totally surreal, all the more so when reading the shit offered in defence of the situation. John Lott is prominent among the defenders, having concocted a study purporting to prove the "more guns, less crime" assertion correct.

I make no apologies, therefore, for just laughing when I read an article about a road rage that finished up with both drivers shooting each other dead. Both had a concealed carry permit. Stupid fucking fucks.

Another road rage: "If I had a gun I'd shoot you dead." Maybe she wouldn't have, but then again...

And another one. Bloke always has a gun laying by his side and flashes it just in case the other bloke has one.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 11 Nov 2017, 12:53 PM   #679939 / #11
Here Rests A Cemetery

Wasn't this dude institutionalized, as well as being dishonourably discharged from military services? How would gun laws have prevented him from obtaining these weapons? He wasn't legally permitted.

And from his FB page, he definitely disliked organized religion. Could have talked some sense into him had he come to this website, shame.
Here Rests A Cemetery is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 11 Nov 2017, 08:58 PM   #679959 / #12
dancer_rnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Rests A Cemetery View Post
Wasn't this dude institutionalized, as well as being dishonourably discharged from military services? How would gun laws have prevented him from obtaining these weapons? He wasn't legally permitted.

And from his FB page, he definitely disliked organized religion. Could have talked some sense into him had he come to this website, shame.
He was refused a concealed carry permit since he didn't return the forms. The military fell down on the job, so it was easier for him to get a gun than it should have been.
There is no such thing as "politically correct." It's code for liberalism. The whole idea of "political correctness" was a brief academic flash-in-the-pan in the early 1990's, but has been a good conservative bugaboo ever since.
dancer_rnb is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 11 Nov 2017, 09:12 PM   #679961 / #13
Here Rests A Cemetery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer_rnb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Rests A Cemetery View Post

He was refused a concealed carry permit since he didn't return the forms. The military fell down on the job, so it was easier for him to get a gun than it should have been.
This sort of negligence should be preventable by now, one would surmise. Thousands of shootings over the decades. It truly is unique to United States.
Here Rests A Cemetery is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 14 Nov 2017, 12:03 AM   #680166 / #14
Jackrabbit
House Pervert

Quote:
Firearms would still be allowed, but regulated for public safety....be "well regulated", like that constitutionally required of the now fictitious 'militia'.
That's one of the main issues. These fuckheads constantly jerk off to the second amendment, but reject the "well regulated" part, fighting against any form of said regulation. Even back in the 60s, we had "register commies, not guns". What do they think regulation means? Oh, wait, I'm assuming they have actually read the amendment. Silly me.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 03:14 AM   #680294 / #15
Jackrabbit
House Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit View Post
Quote:
Firearms would still be allowed, but regulated for public safety....be "well regulated", like that constitutionally required of the now fictitious 'militia'.
That's one of the main issues. These fuckheads constantly jerk off to the second amendment, but reject the "well regulated" part, fighting against any form of said regulation. Even back in the 60s, we had "register commies, not guns". What do they think regulation means? Oh, wait, I'm assuming they have actually read the amendment. Silly me.
Appears I already started a thread about this last year.
Jackrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old Today, 01:02 AM   #680553 / #16
justme
babble rouser

What could be happening with male aggressiveness is that we have a domesticated populous in a society that glorifies aggressiveness and sensationalizes the billy bad ass lone wolf anti-hero in just about ever action film and tv series we have. We are paying a 20 something kid straight out of school several million dollars to plow into each other and carry a ball across white line on a field, when the teachers who educated them, the police and firefighters who protect them and the doctors and nurses who keep them healthy make diddly squat?

The entertainment industries lambasts us with images of Die Hard, The Borne Conspiracy, which are all lone wolf adventurers in a time when our society is moving away from the archaic mindset of a patriarchal society and into one with shared responcibilitis and power. Maybe these shooters can't handle that.

I just wonder how many of these shooters are filled with the internal need to be like those characters in a time when the mindset of behind the characters are so frowned upon. I wonder if inside the people whacked out minds they are being emasculated, by everyday life because of this false imagery of masculinity they've absorbed.

I mean, just look at the actions of a control freak or a highly insecure person when they think they are being confronted. I used to have a team partner when I was driving for another company. He was one of those who was so insecure that he was reading and quoting the self help books he read to try and give himself confidence. He was so on the edge that If I even looked at my watch, he thought I was thinking he was somehow driving too slow.

One time I was waking up from a nap in the sleeper birth, which is the bed behind the driver's seat and I asked him where we were. He yanked the truck over on the shoulder and tried to fight me right then and there because he thought I was suggesting that he was lost.

I ended up jumping out of the truck within a week of us teaming up because he was giving me the whillies. I don't know whatever happened to him but I thank God every day I'm not around him.

Last edited by justme; Today at 01:15 AM.
justme is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old Today, 02:12 AM   #680559 / #17
MattShizzle
Zombie for Satan

Thing is, kids in other countries watch the same movies and play the same video games. Probably more video games in Japan and this sort of thing just doesn't happen there. In Japan and most European countries not just with guns, but not with knives, etc either. There were violent westerns in the 1930s-1950s and this didn't happen.
MattShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #680560 / #18
justme
babble rouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShizzle View Post
Thing is, kids in other countries watch the same movies and play the same video games. Probably more video games in Japan and this sort of thing just doesn't happen there. In Japan and most European countries not just with guns, but not with knives, etc either. There were violent westerns in the 1930s-1950s and this didn't happen.
Is their culture the same as ours? seeing movies about lone wolves in a culture that steeped in sacrifice as Japan is sees things from a different perspective than ours does. They were our fiercest fows in WWII just because of this alone.

our culture is also one which goes for expediance. We are impatient, self absorbed and for the most part seaks instant gratification in a lot of our undertakings.

What we call freedom many cultures might call chaos.

Last edited by justme; Today at 02:41 AM.
justme is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Politics & World Events